Imagine the disappointment to arrive at a beach and find a notice indicating the water is not safe for swimming that day. A number of factors affects water condition which can vary from day to day.
There is a great tool available to learn about the beach conditions beforehand. Not only does Swim Guide report beach conditions, but it also searches for the closest beaches and offers directions. Swim Guide is a free app, funded entirely by donations of beach loving folks who want to enjoy their local bodies of water safely. It began seven years ago in Toronto, Canada. Staff and volunteers at the charity Lake Ontario Waterkeeper wondered: where is it safe to swim?
The Swim Guide is available iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® and Android. It provides original descriptions and photographs of over 1,500 different beaches in Canada and around the United States, including the Great Lakes regions, California. Florida, and Alabama's Gulf Coast.
- Gives you real-time beach status updates (where available)
- Gives you historical beach trends
- Explains the laws and policies that protect beaches
- Lets you compare your local beach to other beaches in Canada and the United States.
- Find the closest beach using list, map, or search tools
- Discover a wide variety of beaches, ranging from city parks to remote lakes ideal for camping
- Identify at a glance which beaches are clean for swimming (Green) and which have water quality problems (Red) in real-time
- Get walking, driving, or transit directions to the beach of your choice
- Report pollution or environmental concerns
Next time you wonder if the water is safe for swimming, you can answer, "There's an app for that." Swim Guide is free to download. Invite Swim Guide to your next trip to the beach.