From their mission statement:
TreePeople’s mission is to inspire, engage and support people to take personal responsibility for the urban environment, making it safe, healthy, fun and sustainable and to share the process as a model for the world.With Arbor Day celebrations taking place around the United States, the benefits of trees cannot be underestimated.
- Trees clean the air: trees absorb odors and pollutant gases (nitrogen oxides, ammonia, sulfur dioxide and ozone) and filter particulates out of the air by trapping them on their leaves and bark.
- Trees provide oxygen: in one year an acre of mature trees can provide enough oxygen for 18 people.
- Trees conserve energy: three trees placed strategically around a single-family home can cut summer air conditioning needs by up to 50 percent. By reducing the energy demand for cooling our houses, we reduce carbon dioxide and other pollution emissions from power plants.
- Trees save water : shade from trees slows water evaporation from thirsty lawns. Most newly planted trees need only fifteen gallons of water a week. As trees transpire, they increase atmospheric moisture.
- Trees increase property values: the beauty of a well-planted property and its surrounding street and neighborhood can raise property values by as much as 15 percent.
TreePeople have a unique program in place. They offer certificates of tree dedication for a variety of landmark occasions, from the birth of a new baby to a memorial. This Mother's Day they are offering special tree dedications.
In addition to their dedications, TreePeople offer volunteer opportunities, educational programs, concerts, and other events around the greater Los Angeles area. It's a great charity and inspiring for cities around the nation.