Clothing Green - Our Daily Green

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Clothing Green

Did you ever wonder what the real price of fashion is? Not just on our bank account but also on our environment. In a society that dictates wardrobe changes with each season, there is tremendous clothing waste. Polyester is a petroleum based fiber while cotton is one of the most water and pesticide dependent crops. Eco-friendly clothing is available, but tends to be at a premium price. What would any self respecting green person, who also likes to keep green in their wallet do?

Long ago I discovered the joys of thrift and consignment shopping. This is something I've embraced so thoroughly that I went into premature labor with my first child in the parking lot of a consignment shop, looking for maternity clothing.

Derick Melander's Massive Secondhand Clothing Sculptures
When you shop such stores, no additional resources are being used to buy something already manufactured. With a careful eye, you can wear clothing that is a fraction of the original price. My daughter has hosted a clothing swap with her peers, so they wind up with "new to them" fashion pieces. When my children were babies, garage sales and consignment shops outfitted them. I've also shopped auction sites for specific items, rather than hope to find it somewhere. I've turned thrifting into a bit of a hobby, always watching for out of season items. My best coupe was an $800 designer lambskin leather jacket for $20 in the early spring.

I also recommend learning the art of repairing small tears, lost buttons and broken zippers. Think back to the 40s wartime mentality to make everything last as long as possible.

With a little creativity and a new outlook, fashion can be had for a song. The tune will make your wallet and the environment join the chorus.

*for more extensive reading on the environmental impact of fashion, I recommend this article, Waste Couture*

No comments :